Hi Greg, ok let's do it in the dev list first.

1. indeed the picking up of lat/long is a common if not the most common use
case for building a spatial index. last but not least to perform a
proximity search on 2D point geometries. (I know that the ogc recommends a
transformation path with a sparql query to turn lat / long into a WKT
geometry datatypes maybe we could provide this as a convenient option with
the release)

2. as far as I can see the spatial index in geosparql-jena is memory based.
it creates additional load time during server startup. Am I missing
something here, is there a file base spatial index as well?

3. error handling is disruptive. since we are hitting the spatial index
first during query execution I am seeing a number of unpleasant side
effects with syntactically correct sparql but semantically incorrect
spatial queries. e.g.

PREFIX geo: <http://www.opengis.net/ont/geosparql#>
PREFIX geof: <http://www.opengis.net/def/function/geosparql/>

SELECT ?well
WHERE {
   ?well  <http://www.wikidata.org/entity/P625> ?geometry .
  FILTER(geof:sfWithin(?geometry,"POLYGON((-77 38,-77 0,0 38,0 0,0
0))"^^geo:wktLiteral))
} LIMIT 10

4. The re-use of the geo: prefix really isn't your problem I know but it
will create confusion. Wouldn't geosparql: be a better prefix for this? Is
the OGC now married to this prefix? It used to be
http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/wgs84_pos#

and there is more to come...

again thank you for working on this with your team Greg, much appreciated.

--

---
Marco Neumann