Github user pmouawad commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/jmeter/pull/300

    I'm using code from:
    - https://patch-diff.githubusercontent.com/raw/apache/jmeter/pull/300.patch

    I have just found the problem.
    I start jmeter using :
    - t LAST

    which reloads last opened plan.

    This option seems to break some fields:
    - Loaded test plan is detected as dirty immediately

    Still I confirm that I face the issue with unfolding, let me clarify the
scenario:
    Create a Tree like this:
    Test Plan
    |-------------User Defined Variable
    |-------------Thread Group 1
                                    |----------Debug Sampler1
    |-------------Thread Group 2
                                    |----------Debug Sampler2

    Expand Thread Group 1 and Unexpand Thread Group 2.
    Clone User Defined Variable using menu Edit > Duplicate
    Undo
    You end up with both Thread Groups expanded

---
with INFRA.
---