I agree it's good to have Github stuff archived on Apache-owned domains, I just
think that the list gets overwhelmed with garbage that most people are just
deleting. I mean, I like the idea of skimming through commits, but today I am
waking up to over 100 emails, and I have to pick out the auto-generated emails
that I don't have time to read from the important ones. If most people are just
saving things to a separate folder, that they are never going to read, isn't it
better to turn off those auto-emails?

Why not use a separate list like git@ or archive@ for such posts? Then it's
there for people to search, but no one has to wade through it.