Github user mjpost commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/incubator-joshua/pull/12#issuecomment-222026212

    Having thought about this, but not looked, my guess is that the arguments
to logging functions are getting computed even if they're not printed, and
that's costing lots of time. I'm not sure why that would affect multithreading
though.

    @lewismc and @thammegowda, if you have any thoughts on any other changes
you made that might have caused this, please let me know.

    (I think the lesson is that I should have let JOSHUA-252 get fully merged
before pulling in the logging code. That would have let us separate these
issues)

---
with INFRA.
---