Has anyone looked at the Sonatype Aether plugin(http://aether.sonatype.org/)?
 I've been following along with Clojure's Leiningen project, and they are
moving their own system to using Aether for dependency management, as it
handles all of the Maven settings, proxies, repository/dependency
resolution, etc. that they've hacked together using Maven Ant Tasks
currently.  If all that is needed for Bundler integration is a dependency
resolution mechanism for Java libs, I would think Aether could work, but
I'm speculating quite a bit here.

-Nick Klauer