>  may merge a bit of your work into bigtop-989 if that's ok with you.
Merge away!  Happy to help. :)

> I'll ask on bigtop regarding the .deb requirement - it seems they don't abide
> by this.

Yeah, there seems to be a constant struggle between the 'java way' of doing
things, e.g. Maven downloading the internet, and the 'debian way', e.g. be
paranoid about everything, make sure the build process is 100% repeatable.

Bigtop should definitely do whatever Bigtop thinks is best.  This Makefile
technique works for us now, but probably will require a lot of manual
maintenance as Kafka grows.