I just checked and that patch is in .8 branch.   Thanks for working on back
porting it Andrew.  We'd be happy to commit that work to master.

As for the kafka contrib project vs Camus, they are similar but not quite
identical.  Camus is intended to be a high throughput ETL for bulk
ingestion of Kafka data into HDFS.  Where as what we have in contrib is
more of a simple KafkaInputFormat.  Neither can really replace the other.
If you had a complex hadoop workflow and wanted to introduce some Kafka
data into that workflow, using Camus would be a gigantic overkill and a
pain to setup.  On the flipside, if what you want is frequent reliable
ingest of Kafka data into HDFS, a simple InputFormat doesn't provide you
with that.

I think it would be preferable to simplify the existing contrib
Input/OutputFormats by refactoring them to use the more stable higher level
Kafka APIs.  Currently they use the lower level APIs.  This should make
them easier to maintain, and user friendly enough to avoid the need for
extensive documentation.

Ken