Thanks Jason for the vote!

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 12:07 PM Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io> wrote:

> +1 Thanks for the KIP. Just a couple comments below:
>
> 1. Kafka APIs traditionally leave off `get` from API names. How about
> `groupMetadata` instead of `getMetadata`?

That sounds good to me.

> 2. I am guessing memberId and groupInstanceId should be nullable in the
> TxnOffsetCommit schema?

I agree group.instance.id should be nullable, for member.id,  are you
suggesting that the purpose is to be able to set it to null when we
deserialize older version txn offset request?

> 3. Just to clarify on the upgrade process for streams, the two-step update
> is only required if you want strict guarantees about protection from
> zombies. Is that right? So if you just do it in one shot, it will still
> work, just you would be exposed to some edge cases.

That's correct, I could add a side-note to the upgrade path, although I
think most people would like to pay the cost of
2 rolling bounces for the sake of consistency :)