I just re-read the KIP. Overall I am +1 as well.

Some minor comments (also apply to the Google design doc):

1) As 2.4 was release, references should be updated to 2.5.

2) About the upgrade path, the KIP says:

2a)

> Broker must be upgraded to 2.4 first. This means the
> `inter.broker.protocol.version` (IBP) has to be set to the latest. Any
> produce request with higher version will automatically get fenced because of
> no support.

From my understanding, this is not correct? After a broker is updated to
the new binaries, it should accept new requests, even if IBP was not
bumped yet?

2b)

About the two rolling bounces for KS apps and the statement

> one should never allow task producer and thread producer under the same
> application group

In the second rolling bounce, we might actually mix both (ie, per-task
and per-thread producers) but this is fine as explained in the KIP. The
only case we cannot allow is, old per-task producers (without consumer
generation fencing) to be mixed with per-thread producers (that rely
solely on consumer generation fencing).

Does this sound correct?

3) We should also document how users can use KS 2.5 applications against
older brokers -- for this case, we need to stay on per-task producers
and cannot use the new fencing mechanism. Currently, the KIP only
describe a single way how users could make this work: by setting (and
keeping) UPGRADE_FROM config to 2.4 (what might not be an ideal solution
and might also not be clear by itself that people would need to do this)?

-Matthias