+1 for removing MM 1.0 when we cut a breaking release. It is sad to see
that we are still investing in it (I just saw a KIP toward improving its
reset policy).

My understanding was that KIP-590 is not breaking compatibility, I think
Guozhang said that in response to my question on the discussion thread.

Overall, since Kafka has time-based releases, we can make the call on 3.0
vs 2.7 when we are at "KIP freeze date" and can see which features are
likely to make it.

--
Gwen Shapira
Engineering Manager | Confluent