IMO a bridge release, or one that you have to upgrade to before upgrading
to the breaking release should be numbered as the last of the 2.x series...

In other words, it's acceptable to say "before upgrading to 3.0, first
upgrade to 2.9" but it's very unexpected to say "before upgrading to 3.1,
first upgrade to 3.0"... no one will be expecting that.

--

*Jeff Widman*
jeffwidman.com <http://www.jeffwidman.com/> | 740-WIDMAN-J (943-6265)