Hello Matthias,

Thanks for the updated KIP, overall I'm +1 on this proposal. Some minor
comments (I know gmail mixed that again for me so I'm leaving it as a combo
for both DISCUSS and VOTE :)

1) There are some inconsistent statements in the proposal regarding what to
deprecated: at the beginning it says "We propose to deprecate the retries
configuration parameter for the producer and admin client" but later in
compatibility we say "Producer and admin client behavior does not change;
both still respect retries config." My understanding is that we will only
deprecate the StreamsConfig#retries while not touch on
ProducerConfig/AdminClientConfig#retries, AND we will always override the
embedded producer / admin retries config to infinity so that we never rely
on those configs but always bounded by the timeout config. Is that
right, if yes could you clarify in the doc?

2) We should also document the related behavior change in PartitionAssignor
that uses AdminClient. More specifically, the admin client's retries config
is piggy-backed inside InternalTopicManager as an outer-loop retry logic in
addition to AdminClient's own inner retry loop. There are some existing
issues like KAFKA-9999 / 10006 that Sophie and Boyang has been working on.
I exchanged some ideas with them, and generally we should consider if the
outer-loop of InternalTopicManager should just be removed and if we got
TimeoutException we should just trigger another rebalance etc.

BTW as I mentioned in the previous statement, today throwing an exception
that kills one thread but not the whole instance is still an issue for
monitoring purposes, but I suppose this is not going to be in this KIP but
addressed by another KIP, right?

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang