Hi Jason.  Thanks for the excellently-written KIP.

Will the implementation be backported to prior Kafka versions?  The reason
I ask is because if it is not backported and similar functionality is not
otherwise made available for older versions, then the only recourse (aside
from deleting and recreating the topic as you pointed out) may be to
upgrade to 2.7 (or whatever version ends up getting this functionality).
Such an upgrade may not be desirable, especially if the number of
intermediate versions is considerable. I understand the mantra of "never
fall too many versions behind" but the reality of it is that it isn't
always the case.  Even if the version is relatively recent, an upgrade may
still not be possible for some time, and a quicker resolution may be
necessary.

Ron