Hey Ron,

We do not typically backport new APIs to older versions. I think we can
however make the --abort command compatible with older versions. It would
require a user to do some analysis on their own to identify a hanging
transaction, but then they can use the tool from a new release to recover.
For example, users could detect a hanging transaction through the existing
"LastStableOffsetLag" metric and then collect the needed information from a
dump of the log (or producer snapshot). It's more work, but at least it's
possible. Does that sound fair?

Thanks,
Jason