Thanks all. I updated the KIP slightly since there is some ambiguity around
whether the existing TaskId class is
currently part of the public API or not. To settle the matter, I have
introduced a new public TaskId interface that
exposes the metadata, and moved the existing TaskId class to the internals
package. The KIP <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/vYTOCg> has been
updated
with the proposed API changes.

@Guozhang Wang <guozh...@confluent.io> : I decided to leave this new TaskId
interface in o.a.k.streams.processor since that's where the
TaskMetadata class is, along with the other related metadata classes (eg
ThreadMetadata). I do agree it makes
more sense for them to be under o.a.k.streams, but I'd rather leave them
together for now.

Please let me know if there are any concerns, or you want to redact your
vote :)

-Sophie