Hi Sophie,

Thanks for catching that. These are existing methods inside of
`StreamsConfig` that will return null (the new default) instead of byte
array serde (the old default). Both `StreamsConfig` and
`defaultKeySerde`/`defaultValueSerde` are public, so I assume these still
count as part of the public API. I updated the KIP to include this
information.

Bruno - I was planning on including a specific message with the streams
exception to indicate that either a serde needs to be passed in or a
default needs to be set. I'm open to doing something more specific,
perhaps something like a serde exception? WDYT? I was hoping that with the
message the streams exception would still give enough information for users
to debug the problem.

Still hoping for a short discussion (; but thanks for the input so far!

Leah