Thanks for opening this discussion, Bruno!

I wonder if it would be ok to simply drop that config
value in 3.0 instead of 4.0.

Config values are a bit different than Java APIs, since many
users would be using property files or string constants
instead of referencing the "official" constants defined in
StreamsConfig.java. As a result, we can expect the
deprecation warning on the java constant to be only
marginally effective.

Plus, the config value "latest" has been the default
already. I don't think it's a stretch for users of the
"0.10.0-2.4" config value to have seen this coming and to
have migrated to "latest" already.

If you do agree that we can treat it as having been
deprecated since 2.5, I'd further suggest that we no longer
need the "built.in.metrics.version" config at all.

WDYT?
Thanks,
John