Colin,

> lack of support for collecting client metrics

...but kafka is not a metrics collector. There are lots of things kafka
doesn't support. Should it also collect clients' logs for the same reasons?
What other side channels should it proxy through brokers?

> He mentioned the fact that configuring client metrics usually involves
setting up a separate metrics collection infrastructure.

This is not changed with the KIP. It's just a matter of who owns that
infra, which I don't think should matter to Apache Kafka.

We already have MetricsReporter. I still don't see specific motivation
beyond the "opt-out" part?

I think we need exceptional motivation for such a proposal.