Thanks, David.

I was able to successfully complete the following:

- Build release archive from the tag, installed locally, and ran a portion
of quickstart
- Installed 2.8.1 RC0 and performed quickstart for broker and Connect
- Verified signatures and checksums
- Verified the tag
- Compared the release notes to JIRA
- Manually spotchecked the Javadocs

However, generated docs at
https://kafka.apache.org/28/documentation.html incorrectly
reference the 2.8.0 version in the following sections:

* https://kafka.apache.org/28/documentation.html#quickstart
* https://kafka.apache.org/28/documentation.html#producerapi
* https://kafka.apache.org/28/documentation.html#consumerapi
* https://kafka.apache.org/28/documentation.html#streamsapi
* https://kafka.apache.org/28/documentation.html#adminapi

The way these are updated during the release process has changed recently.
IIUC they are generated as part of the release build via the
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/2.8.1-rc0/docs/js/templateData.js
file, which appears to have not been updated in the tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/2.8.1-rc0/docs/js/templateData.js#L22.
Maybe
the https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Release+Process needs
to be tweaked to update this file even when cutting a patch release RC (it
currently says to update this file in the section for major and minor
releases).

Also, the https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/tree/asf-site/28 history
shows no updates since July. I guess that's possible, but might be worth
double checking.

Thanks!

Randall