Jun, thanks for the comments!

16, When a new cluster is deployed, we don't select the highest available
metadata.version, but rather the quorum leader picks a bootstrap version
defined in meta.properties. As mentioned earlier, we should add validation
here to ensure a majority of the followers could support this version
before initializing it. This would avoid a situation where a failover
results in a new leader who can't support the selected metadata.version.

Thinking a bit more on this, we do need to define a state where we're
running newer software, but we don't have the feature flag set. This could
happen if we were running an older IBP that did not support KIP-778.
Following on this, it doesn't seem too difficult to consider a case where
the IBP has been upgraded, but we still have not finalized a
metadata.version. Here are some possible version combinations (assuming
KIP-778 is added to Kafka 3.2):

Case  Software    IBP    metadata.version    effective version
A     3.1         3.1    -                   0  software too old for
feature flag
B     3.2         3.1    -                   0  feature flag supported, but
IBP too old
C     3.2         3.2    -                   0  feature flag supported, but
not initialized
D     3.2         3.2    1                   1  feature flag initialized to
1 (via operator or bootstrap process)
E     3.8         3.1    -                   0  ...IBP too old
F     3.8         3.2    -                   0  ...not initialized
G     3.8         3.2    4                   4

Here I'm defining version 0 as "no metadata.version set". So back to your
comment, I think the KIP omits discussion of case C from the above table
which I can amend. Does that cover your concerns, or am I missing something
else?

> it's inconvenient for a user to manually upgrade every feature version

For this, we would probably want to extend the capabilities of KIP-584. I
don't think anything we've discussed for KIP-778 will preclude us from
adding some kind of auto-upgrade in the future.

21, "disable" sounds good to me. I agree "delete feature-x" sounds a bit
weird.

--
-David