Thanks for the additional information Colin.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 4:43 PM Colin McCabe <cmcc...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi José,
>
> I think these are good questions. We have a few situations like this where
> there is something brokers have to know before they can contact the
> controller quorum -- or something controllers have to know before they can
> accept broker connections. Basically, the bootstrapping problem.
>
> Offhand, I can think of a few scenarios like this:
> 1. If you need certain ACLs to be present, you need a way of setting those up
> on the controller before starting the controller quorum for the first time.
> 2. If you are using SCRAM for the broker user, you need some way of setting
> that up before starting up the cluster for the first time.
> 3. If you are using KIP-226 dynamic broker configurations to configure the
> SSL settings for the connection to the controller, you need a way of setting
> those up before starting the broker.

It sounds to me like KIP-801 is assuming that this "bootstrapping KIP"
will at least generate a snapshot with this information in all of the
controllers. I would like to understand this a bit better. Do you
think that we need to write this "bootstrapping KIP" as soon as
possible?

Thanks
-José