Hi Colin,

Thanks for the writeup. I had one question about bootstrapping. For the
brokers, I understand that listener startup is delayed until the Authorizer
is ready. However, I was not very clear how this would work for the
controller listeners. We may need them to startup before the metadata log
is ready so that a quorum can be established (as noted in the KIP). This
works fine if we assume that the controller principals are among
`super.users`. For requests forwarded from brokers, on the other hand, we
need to ensure the ACLs have been loaded properly before we begin
authorizing. The problem is that we currently use the same listener for
quorum requests and for forwarded requests. So my question is how does the
Authorizer communicate to the controller when it is safe to begin
authorizing different request types?

There are a couple ways I can see this working. First, we could allow the
user to configure the listener used for forwarded requests separately. That
would work with the existing `Authorizer.start` API. Alternatively, perhaps
we could modify `Authorizer.start` to work with something more granular
than `EndPoint`. This would allow the controller to begin accepting
requests from the other quorum members before it is ready to authorize
forwarded requests from clients.  Then we would need some way to let
brokers know when the controller is ready to accept these forwarded
requests (e.g. through an error code in the `Envelope` response).

What do you think?

Thanks,
Jason