Hi Jose,

Thanks for the KIP.

The approach sounds reasonable. By the way, I think one of the gaps we have
today is when the leader gets partitioned from the remaining voters. I
believe it continues acting as a leader indefinitely. I was considering
whether this periodic write can address the issue. Basically it can be used
to force a leader to prove it is still the leader by committing some data.
Say, for example, that the leader fails to commit the record after the
fetch timeout expires, then perhaps it could start a new election. What do
you think?

A couple additional questions:

- What is the default value for `metadata.monitor.write.interval.ms`? Also,
I'm wondering if `controller` would be a more suitable prefix?
- Could we avoid letting BrokerMetadataPublisher escape into the metric
name? Letting the classnames leak into the metrics tends to cause
compatibility issues over time.

Best,
Jason