Thanks for the KIP, José.

Given that we already have metadata.log.max.record.bytes.between.snapshots, we
need to define how the two properties interact. I would expect that the
time-based property would take effect only if the bytes-based property did not
trigger. In other words, if you are regularly generating snapshots every hour
because of your setting for metadata.log.max.record.bytes.between.snapshots,
setting a time-based property for every 10 hours should have no effect. But if
you would have only generated a snapshot every week by your
metadata.log.max.record.bytes.between.snapshots setting, setting a time-based
property for every 10 hours should result in a snapshot every 10 hours. And in
that case the bytes-based property is effectively ignored.

I think we should clarify this in the KIP to avoid confusion. Also, it suggests
that the configuration name should include "max" somewhere to indicate that it
is a maximum only and not necessarily the duration value that will result from
the sum total of all configurations. So maybe
metadata.log.max.snapshot.interval.ms?

best,
Colin