To my best knowledge ICLA is required only for committers - people that do have
commit bit on ASF repositories.

Contributors can’t commit their patch themselves and hence they have to attach
their patch to JIRA where they implicitly agree with all the legal stuff. There
is some license agreement about that, but I can’t find it right now.

Jarcec