Hi Philip,

Thanks for the KIP!

QQ: In the "Proposed Changes" section, the KIP states that "Bootstrapping
should now occur in the poll method before attempting to update the
metadata. This includes resolving the addresses and bootstrapping the
metadata.". By "bootstrapping the metadata" do we mean actually contacting
the bootstrap servers, or just setting some internal state related to the
current set of servers that can be contacted for metadata? I ask because it
seems like the language here implies the former, but if that's the case,
this is already happening in poll (or at least, the first invocation of
it), and if it's the latter, it's probably not necessary to mention in the
KIP since it doesn't really impact user-facing behavior. It also seems like
that detail might impact how intertwined this and KIP-899 are, though the
similarity could still be superficial either way.

Cheers,

Chris