Hi Jack,

+1 (binding)

Some friendly, non-blocking suggestions:

- IMO it's still worth specifying that the headers will be read-only; this
clarifies the intended API contract both for reviewers of the KIP who
haven't read the GitHub PR yet, and for developers who may leverage this
new method
- May be worth mentioning in the compatibility section that any
partitioners that only implement the new interface will be incompatible
with older Kafka clients versions (this is less likely to be a serious
problem in the clients world, but it's a much hairier problem with Connect,
where cross-compatibility between newer/older versions of connectors and
the Kafka Connect runtime is a serious concern)

Again, these are not blockers and I'm in favor of the KIP with or without
them since I believe both can be addressed at least partially during PR
review and don't have to be tackled at this stage.

Cheers,

Chris