Hi All,

I am new to the Kafka developer community. After learning more about
Kafka's transactional capabilities recently, I became interested in
exploring what would be required to provide support for the XA interface
specified in the X/ Open Distributed Processing Model in the Kafka producer
client. I have put together a proof of concept to satisfy my curiosity, and
based on that work, I think that extending the Kafka producer with XA
support is doable with reasonable effort.

As I understand the Kafka development team's process, the first step in the
process would be to produce a KIP describing the feature's goals and
design. My question in this email is whether XA support has ever been
considered previously by the PMC and if so, with what result. I don't want
to spend time working on a KIP if XA support is not something that the PMC
sees value in including and supporting in the Kafka codebase.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am excited to work on this feature if
there is interest in the community.

Regards,
Rowland