Hi Rowland,

First of all, welcome to the community, and thanks for thinking about
the future of Kafka!

I'm not very familiar with X/Open XA, but from the documentation I
read, it appears most related to KIP-939: Support Participation in 2PC
[1] currently in-progress. You may be interested in contributing to
the discussion [2] for that KIP to ensure that it is easy to use
within an XA context. I see that someone else in that thread has
mentioned XA, but no conclusions appear to have been reached. I'm sure
that Artem would be interested to hear your use-case and vision for
using Kafka with XA.

[1]:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-939%3A+Support+Participation+in+2PC
[2]: https://lists.apache.org/thread/wbs9sqs3z1tdm7ptw5j4o9osmx9s41nf