Hi Colin,

I agree that we try hard to avoid breaking compatibility. I am not
questioning this at all. I also agree with your concern.

My point was about requiring users to opt-in for a feature vs having it
enabled by default during the EA and the Preview phases. With KIP-1022, the
only way to use a non-default version of a feature is to set the unstable
config. I think that it would be nice to have the default feature version,
new stable version(s) that users could opt-in to enable during EA/Preview,
and the development one(s) gated by the unstable flag. This is perhaps more
a discussion for KIP-1022.

Best,
David