Thanks Chris. That's fair.

-Matthias

On 7/15/24 4:03 PM, Chris Egerton wrote:
+0

Alieh, Matthias, Andrew--I know this isn't what you were hoping for, and I
want to acknowledge the significant time and effort you've put into this
KIP. I do believe it solves a real problem for Kafka Streams, but I don't
believe the solution as presented is worth the fine print and potential
footguns that it would come with for other users of the producer API. I
also believe that the way that the design is predicated on producer
internals makes these issues virtually impossible to overcome. If an
internal configuration property is an option, I think that would be a
reasonable compromise. And if not, I still don't dislike this strongly
enough to actively try to block it with a -1 vote; if there are other
committers who disagree with my assessment and believe that this design
makes the right tradeoffs, then I believe this KIP deserves to pass.

I'll continue to monitor the discussion thread in case there's an
opportunity to change my mind.

Best,

Chris