Hi Colin,

Looking at the JIRAs of the new umbrella issue (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-17241) it seems to me that the
adding metrics one is the only one that is different. As you mention most
of the tasks are refactors, optimizations and tests. However, having proper
metrics I think it's part of having being able to operate Kafka
environments successfully. This is why I think if it doesn't make it to
3.9.0 (as it seems) it should definitely be in 3.9.1. The reason I'm asking
is because adding metrics in a patch version is something not something we
usually do.

Best,