Hi all,

I think it's time to transition the 3.9 branch to feature freeze. Please note
that this is 2 weeks past the original planned date. I apologize for this; our
planning wasn't perfect.

A few updates on features that are in or out of Apache Kafka 3.9:

- We have completed all the feature work for KIP-853: KRaft controller
membership changes. (Please note that there are still a few bug fixes
remaining, and the docs JIRA, KAFKA-17048, but those are all
post-feature-freeze tasks.)

- After speaking with Calvin, I moved KIP-966 out of 3.9 and into 4.0. I do
feel bad about this but I just don't think we'll be able to get it into this
short release.

There are a few other KIPs that probably need to be moved to 4.0, such as
KIP-1023 and KIP-1025. I will do a more thorough review tomorrow and reach out
to people if there are gray areas. If you have a feature that you have
questions about, please reach out.

I would like to extend code freeze for Kafka 3.9 to August 29th. My reasoning
is that code freeze was 2 weeks later than expected, and also, I will be out of
the office most of next week.

I have also created a PR to mark 3.9-IV0 as stable, so look for that shortly in
trunk and 3.9.

As previously mentioned, please refrain from changing the Java version in trunk
(kafka 4.0) until we get an RC out. (However, please do continue working on
your 4.0 features and other refactors in trunk, even if they don't apply to
3.9!)

Thanks to everyone who has worked on this release, and thanks for your
patience. I do believe we will deliver on the promise of a
much-shorter-than-usual release cycle, even with the 2 week delay.

best,
Colin