On Mon, Aug 26, 2024, at 10:51, Josep Prat wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> Names are in the KIP. Level 1 to 4 are never meant to be used outside of
> this discussion. It's my, apparently successful, attempt to focus on what
> the levels mean instead of their names:
>
>> Names
>
>     "In Development"
>     "Early Access"
>     "Preview"
>     "Production Ready"

Hi Josep,

Thanks for the clarification. I think we should remove references to level 1,
2, 3, 4, etc. if that is not the terminology that we want to use. One of the
big purposes of a KIP is to standardize on terminology. That's not achieved if
different parts of the KIP use different names for the same things.

> Alternatively, if we want to be a bit more playful we could go with a theme
> borrowed from the book industry (as an homage to Franz Kafka):
>
>     "In Development"
>     "Manuscript"
>     "Pre-print"
>     "Published"

The need to standardize terminology also means that, sorry, you have to choose.
:) This is actually a feedback I often give on KIPs. People like to add
sections that say "maybe we'll do X, maybe we'll do Y." But to make progress on
the KIP, you have to choose either X or Y and put the other one in the
"rejected alternatives" section.

I think our purpose in choosing names should be clarity for users and
developers. That's why I suggested "not implemented", "alpha", "beta",
"production ready". I am curious what your thoughts are about these.

best,
Colin