Yeah I'd be in favor of a quicker, smaller release but I think as long as
we have these big things in flight we should probably keep the release
criteria feature-based rather than time-based, though (e.g. "when X works"
not "every other month).

Ideally the next release would have at least a "beta" version of the new
consumer. I think having a new hunk of code like that available but marked
as "beta" is maybe a good way to go, as it gets it into peoples hands for
testing. This way we can declare the API not fully locked down until the
final release too, since mostly users only look at stuff after we release
it. Maybe we can try to construct a schedule around this?

-Jay