Hi,

As said above - I list again all comments from this thread so we
can see what's left and finalize all pending issues.

Comments from Jay:
1. This is much needed functionality, but there are a lot of the so let's
really think these protocols through. We really want to end up with a set
of well thought-out, orthoganol apis. For this reason I think it is really
important to think through the end state even if that includes APIs we
won't implement in the first phase.

A: Definitely behind this. Would appreciate if there are concrete comments
how this can be improved.

2. Let's please please please wait until we have switched the server over
to the new java protocol definitions. If we add upteen more ad hoc scala
objects that is just generating more work for the conversion we know we
have to do.

A: Fixed in the latest patch - removed scala protocol classes.

3. This proposal introduces a new type of optional parameter. This is
inconsistent with everything else in the protocol where we use -1 or some
other marker value. You could argue either way but let's stick with that
for consistency. For clients that implemented the protocol in a better way
than our scala code these basic primitives are hard to change.

A: Fixed in the latest patch - removed MaybeOf type and changed protocol
accordingly.

4. ClusterMetadata: This seems to duplicate TopicMetadataRequest which has
brokers, topics, and partitions. I think we should rename that request
ClusterMetadataRequest (or just MetadataRequest) and include the id of the
controller. Or are there other things we could add here?

A: I agree. Updated the KIP. Let's extends TopicMetadata to version 2 and
include controller.

5. We have a tendency to try to make a lot of requests that can only go to
particular nodes. This adds a lot of burden for client implementations (it
sounds easy but each discovery can fail in many parts so it ends up being a
full state machine to do right). I think we should consider making admin
commands and ideally as many of the other apis as possible available on all
brokers and just redirect to the controller on the broker side. Perhaps
there would be a general way to encapsulate this re-routing behavior.

A: It's a very interesting idea, but seems there are some concerns about
this
feature (like performance considerations, how this will complicate server
etc).
I believe this shouldn't be a blocker. If this feature is implemented at
some
point it won't affect Admin changes - at least no changes to public API
will be required.

6. We should probably normalize the key value pairs used for configs rather
than embedding a new formatting. So two strings rather than one with an
internal equals sign.

A: Fixed in the latest patch - normalized configs and changed protocol
accordingly.

7. Is the postcondition of these APIs that the command has begun or that
the command has been completed? It is a lot more usable if the command has
been completed so you know that if you create a topic and then publish to
it you won't get an exception about there being no such topic.

A: For long running requests (like reassign partitions) - the post
condition is
command has begun - so we don't block the client. In case of your example -
topic commands, this will be refactored and topic commands will be executed
immediately, since the Controller will serve Admin requests
(follow-up ticket KAFKA-1777).

8. Describe topic and list topics duplicate a lot of stuff in the metadata
request. Is there a reason to give back topics marked for deletion? I feel
like if we just make the post-condition of the delete command be that the
topic is deleted that will get rid of the need for this right? And it will
be much more intuitive.

A: Fixed in the latest patch - removed topics marked for deletion in
ListTopicsRequest.

9. Should we consider batching these requests? We have generally tried to
allow multiple operations to be batched. My suspicion is that without this
we will get a lot of code that does something like
   for(topic: adminClient.listTopics())
      adminClient.describeTopic(topic)
this code will work great when you test on 5 topics but not do as well if
you have 50k.

A: Updated the KIP - please check "Topic Admin Schema" section.

10. I think we should also discuss how we want to expose a programmatic JVM
client api for these operations. Currently people rely on AdminUtils which
is totally sketchy. I think we probably need another client under clients/
that exposes administrative functionality. We will need this just to
properly test the new apis, I suspect. We should figure out that API.

A: Updated the KIP - please check "Admin Client" section with an initial
API proposal.

11. The other information that would be really useful to get would be
information about partitions--how much data is in the partition, what are
the segment offsets, what is the log-end offset (i.e. last offset), what is
the compaction point, etc. I think that done right this would be the
successor to the very awkward OffsetRequest we have today.

A: I removed ConsumerGroupOffsetsRequest in the latest patch. I believe
this should
be resolved in a separate KIP / jira ticket.

12. Generally we can do good error handling without needing custom
server-side
messages. I.e. generally the client has the context to know that if it got
an error that the topic doesn't exist to say "Topic X doesn't exist" rather
than "error code 14" (or whatever). Maybe there are specific cases where
this is hard? If we want to add server-side error messages we really do
need to do this in a consistent way across the protocol.

A: Updated the KIP - please check "Protocol Errors" section. I added the
comprehensive, fine-grained list of error codes.

Comments from Guozhang:
13. Describe topic request: it would be great to go beyond just batching on
topic name regex for this request. For example, a very common use case of
the topic command is to list all topics whose config A's value is B. With
topic name regex then we have to first retrieve __all__ topics's
description info and then filter at the client end, which will be a huge
burden on ZK.
AND
14. Config K-Vs in create topic: this is related to the previous point;
maybe we can add another metadata K-V or just a metadata string along side
with config K-V in create topic like we did for offset commit request. This
field can be quite useful in storing information like "owner" of the topic
who issue the create command, etc, which is quite important for a
multi-tenant setting. Then in the describe topic request we can also batch
on regex of the metadata field.

A: As discussed it is very interesting but can be implemented later after
we have some basic functionality there.

15. Today all the admin operations are async in the sense that command will
return once it is written in ZK, and that is why we need extra verification
like testUtil.waitForTopicCreated() / verify partition reassignment
request, etc. With admin requests we could add a flag to enable / disable
synchronous requests; when it is turned on, the response will not return
until the request has been completed. And for async requests we can add a
"token" field in the response, and then only need a general "admin
verification request" with the given token to check if the async request
has been completed.

A: I see your point. My idea was to provide specific Verify...Request per
each
long running request, where needed. We can do it the way you suggest. The
only
concern is that introducing a token we again will make schema "dynamic". We
wanted
to do similar thing introducing single AdminRequest for all topic commands
but rejected
this idea because we wanted to have schema defined. So this is more a
choice between:
a) have fixed schema but introduce each time new Verify...Request for
long-running requests
b) use one request for verification but generalize it with token
I'm fine with whatever decision community come to. Just let me know your
thoughts.

Comment from Gwen:
16. Specifically for ownership, I think the plan is to add ACL (it sounds
like you are describing ACL) via an external system (Argus, Sentry).
I remember KIP-11 described this, but I can't find the KIP any longer.

A: Okay, no problem. Not sure though how we are going to handle it. Wait
which KIP
will be committed first and include changes to TopicMetadata from the later
one?
Anyway, I added this note to "Open Questions" section so we don't miss this
piece.

Thanks,
Andrii Biletskyi