101. There may be a use case where you only want the topics to be created
manually by admins. Currently, you can do that by disabling auto topic
creation and issue topic creation from the TopicCommand. If we disable auto
topic creation completely on the broker and don't have a way to distinguish
between topic creation requests from the regular clients and the admin, we
can't support manual topic creation any more. I was thinking that another
way of distinguishing the clients making the topic creation requests is
using clientId. For example, the admin tool can set it to something like
admin and the broker can treat that clientId specially.

Also, there is a related discussion in KAFKA-2020. Currently, we do the
following in TopicMetadataResponse:

1. If leader is not available, we set the partition level error code to
LeaderNotAvailable.
2. If a non-leader replica is not available, we take that replica out of
the assigned replica list and isr in the response. As an indication for
doing that, we set the partition level error code to ReplicaNotAvailable.

This has a few problems. First, ReplicaNotAvailable probably shouldn't be
an error, at least for the normal producer/consumer clients that just want
to find out the leader. Second, it can happen that both the leader and
another replica are not available at the same time. There is no error code
to indicate both. Third, even if a replica is not available, it's still
useful to return its replica id since some clients (e.g. admin tool) may
still make use of it.

One way to address this issue is to always return the replica id for
leader, assigned replicas, and isr regardless of whether the corresponding
broker is live or not. Since we also return the list of live brokers, the
client can figure out whether a leader or a replica is live or not and act
accordingly. This way, we don't need to set the partition level error code
when the leader or a replica is not available. This doesn't change the wire
protocol, but does change the semantics. Since we are evolving the protocol
of TopicMetadataRequest here, we can potentially piggyback the change.

102.1 For those types of errors due to invalid input, shouldn't we just
guard it at parameter validation time and throw InvalidArgumentException
without even sending the request to the broker?

Thanks,

Jun