On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Jay Kreps <j...@confluent.io> wrote:

> Gwen, It's a good question of what the producer semantics are--would we
> only allow you to produce to a partition or first level directory or would
> we hash over whatever subtree you supply? Actually not sure which makes
> more sense...
>
> Ashish, here are some thoughts:
> 1. I think we can do this online. There is a question of what happens to
> readers and writers but presumably it would the same thing as if that topic
> weren't there. There would be no guarantee this would happen atomic over
> different brokers or clients, though.
> 2. ACLs should work like unix perms, right?

Are you suggesting we should move allowed operations to R, W, X model of
unix. Currently, we support these operations
<https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/core/src/main/scala/kafka/security/auth/Operation.scala#L25>
.

I think configs would overide
> hierarchically, so we would have a full set of configs for each partition
> computed by walking up the tree from the root and taking the first
> override). I think this is what you're describing, right?

Yes.

3. Totally agree no reason to have an arbitrary limit.
> 4. I actually don't think the physical layout on disk should be at all
> connected to the logical directory hierarchy we present.

I think it will be useful to have that connection as that will enable users
to encrypt different namespaces with different keys. Thus, one more step
towards a completely multi tenant system.

> That is, whether
> you use RAID or not shouldn't impact the location of a topic in your
> directory structure.

Even if we make physical layout on disk representative of directory
hierarchy,  I think this will not be a concern. Correct me, if I am missing
something.

Not sure if this is what you are saying or not. This
> does raise the question of how to do the disk layout. The simplest thing
> would be to keep the flat data directories but make the names of the
> partitions on disk just be logical inode numbers and then have a separate
> mapping of these inodes to logical names stored in ZK with a cache. I think
> this would make things like rename fast and atomic. The downside of this is
> that the 'ls' command will no longer tell you much about the data on a
> broker.

Enabling renaming of topics is definitely something that will be nice to
have, however with the flat structure we won't be able to enable encrypting
different directories/ namespaces with different keys. However, with
directory hierarchy on disk can be achieved with logical names, each dir
will need a logical name though.

--

Regards,
Ashish