Hi all,

sorry for joining late in the game, the carribean got in the way.

My thoughts:

There is no way around the chicken&egg problem, so the sooner we can
add protocol versioning functionality the better and we'll add heuristics
in clients to
handle the migration period (e.g, what Dana has done in kafka-python).
The focus at this point should be to mitigate the core issue (allow clients
to know what is supported)
in the least intrusive way. Hopefully we can redesign the protocol in the
future to add proper
response headers, etc.

I'm with Data that reusing the broker version as a protocol version will
work just fine and
saves us from administrating another version.
>From a client's perspective an explicit protocol version doesn't really add
any value.
I'd rather maintain a mapping of actual broker versions to supported
protocol requests rather than
some independent protocol version that still needs to be translated to a
broker version for
proper code maintainability / error messages / etc.

Thus my suggestion is in line with some of the previous speakers, that is
is to keep things
simple and bump the MetadataRequest version to 1 by adding a VersionString
("0.9.1.0")
and VersionInt (0x00090100) field to the response.
These fields return version information for the current connection's broker
only, not for other broker's
in the cluster:
Providing version information for other brokers doesn't really serve any
purpose:
 a) the information is cached by the responding broker so it might be
outdated ( = cant be trusted)
 b) by the time the client connects to a given broker it might have upgraded

This means that a client (that is interested in protocol versioning) will
need to query each
connection's version any way. Since MetadataRequets are typically already
sent on connection set up
this seems to be the proper place to put it.

The MetadataRequest semantics should also be extended to allow asking only
for cluster and version information,
but not the topic list since this might have negative performance impact on
large clusters with many topics.
One way to achieve this would be to provide one single Null topic in the
request (length=-1).

Sending a new Metadata V1 request to an old broker will cause the
connection to be closed and
the client will need to use this as a heuristic to downgrade its protocol
ambitions to an older version
(either by some default value or by user configuration).

/Magnus