Thank you for your inputs Gwen and Michael.

The original reason why I suggested a set based processing is because of the
flexibility is provides. The JIRA had a comment by a user requesting a feature
that could be achieved with this.

After reading Gwen and Michael's points, (I went through the documentation and
the code in detail) and agree with what you have to say. Also, fewer guarantees
make what I had in mind less certain and thus simplifying it to a single
message based transformation would ensure that users who do require more
flexibility with the transformations will automatically “turn to" Kafka
Streams. The transformation logic on a message by message basis makes more
sense.

One usecase that Kafka Connect could consider is adding or removing a message
completely. (This was trivially possible with the collection passing). Should
users be pointed towards Kafka Streams even for this use case? I think this is
a very useful feature for Connect too, and I’ll try to rethink on the API too.

Removing a message is as easy as returning a null and having the next
transformer skip it, but adding messages would involve say a queue between
transformers and a method which says “pass message” to the next, which can be
called multiple times from one “transform” function; a variation on the chain
of responsibility design pattern.