Hi Sumit,

Please see my comments inline.

On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 10:33 AM, sumit arrawatia <sumit.arrawa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dong,
>
> Please see my comments inline.
>
> Sumit
>
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Dong Lin <lindon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey Sumit,
> >
> > Thanks Sumit for your explanation. It seems that the concern is that we
> can
> > not easily change cluster.id if we read this from config. Maybe the KIP
> > should also specify the requirement for users to change the cluster.id.
> >
> > But it seems to me that it is equally straightforward to change
> cluster.id
> > in both approaches. Do you think the following approach would work:
> >
> > *How does cluster.id <http://cluster.id> from config work:*
> >
> > When Kafka starts, it reads cluster.id from config. And then it reads
> > cluster.id from zookeeper.
> > - if the cluster.id is not specified in zookeeper, create the znode.
> > - if the cluster.id is specified in zookeeper
> >    - if the cluster.id in znode is the same as the that in config,
> proceed
> >    - Otherwise, broker startup fails and it reports error. Note that we
> > don't make this change after the startup.
> >
> > This is how the current approach of generating ids would work so I agree
> with you that is how setting the cluster id from config would work too. :)
>

> > *How can we change cluster.id <http://cluster.id>:*
> >
> > - Update kafka broker config to use the new cluster.id
> > - Either delete that znode from zookeeper, or update kafka broker config
> > use a new zookeeper which doesn't have that znode
> > - Do a rolling bounce
> >
> > With the current approach described in the KIP, if you want to change the
> > cluster.id, you need to either delete the znode, or change the znode
> > content, before doing a rolling bounce. I don't think the approach above
> is
> > more difficult than this. Any idea?
> >

> I agree that this approach will work but only if we don't store cluster.id
> on in meta.properties on the disk. But I think you will like the proposed
> approach better if I provide some more context.

I am not sure why you mention "... only if we don't store cluster.id in
meta.properties", since neither the KIP nor my suggestion asks to store
cluster.id in the meta.properties. Sorry if the confusion comes from one of
my earlier where I said we can read cluster.id from meta.properties. In my
proposal it should read from the same broker config file where we config
zookeeper url.

Anyway, since my proposed approach doesn't require the broker to store
cluster.id in meta.properties, can I say we agree that user can easily
change cluster.id with this approach?

> I understand that your concern is that cluster ids should be human readable
> and it is therefore better to let the user set it and modify it. I agree
> that we should have human readable names as it makes it easier for users to
> identify the cluster in their monitoring dashboard. But we also want to
> allow users to change this name easily.

Yes, we all agree on this.

> At the same time, we want the cluster identity to be unique and fairly
> constant for uses cases like auditing. If we allow the users to set it, we
> place the burden on the users to maintain uniqueness.

I disagree that it is a burden for user to configure the unique cluster.id
for each cluster. There is something that users need to configure
correctly, such as zookeeper url. I don't think it is overwhelm for user to
configure cluster.id correct. What we can do is to let Kafka report error
if it is not configured correctly, which is covered in the approach I
suggested.

> So, the approach we propose is to generate a immutable UUID for the cluster
> and and allow the users to assign a human readable name to the cluster
> using resource tags. Tags also allow you to add structured metadata in
> addition to the human readable name. For eg. if you want to identify your
> cluster based on region, datacenter, env, etc. ,you can add these as tags.
> Otherwise you will need to encode this in your cluster.id property.
>
> The current KIP lays the foundation for this approach. We plan to implement
> the first part (UUID) in a manner that makes it easy to add the second part
> (human readable names using tags) in a future KIP.

Are you suggesting that it is better to use randomly generated cluster.id +
human-readable tag than using human-readable cluster.id? If so, can you
explain the reason?