Hi Dong,

A few clarifications below.

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Dong Lin <lindon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you are saying that we can stop our discussion and follow simply
> take a vote where the majority decides. I don't think this is a good way to
> find the best design for a KIP and the discussion seems to be useless.

I didn't mean that we should stop the discussion. I meant that if we can't
reach agreement, it would make sense to try and get feedback from a wider
group in the interest of making progress. As you said below, a large number
of messages were exchanged by just 3 people. Even if we were in agreement,
we would not be able to pass the KIP by ourselves. Also, I would certainly
not classify the discussion as useless. The alternative you are proposing
has evolved as part of the discussion and the KIP has been updated a couple
of times.

> My argument for the 2nd approach is that it additionally allows user to use
> human readable cluster.id if they want to do it.

As discussed previously, you can also set the cluster id manually with the
existing KIP by setting the relevant znode. One could describe it as an
intentionally expert-level option instead of the more accessible broker
config (the broker level config does mean that you have to set it for every
broker, but that's probably fine since it's also the case for a few other
configs).

There are two major concern with this KIP:

> - The KIP says that it is a requirement for cluster.id to be immutable.
> Ismael suggests that the reading cluster.id from config doesn't meet this
> requirement. However, the current approach described in the KIP doesn't
> satisfy this requirement either. If user deletes the znode that stores
> cluster.id, either intentionally or by mistake, the cluster.id is lost
> forever. The KIP should be updated to reflect this and this requirement can
> not be used in the comparison between the different approaches.

I will update the KIP to make this point clearer. A couple of comments:

1. Immutability is a goal and the recommended usage, but you can work
around it via the expert-level znode update. You have much bigger problems
if you delete random znodes by mistake to be honest.
2. The cluster id is not lost forever since it can be trivially recovered
from the logs.

- One of the argument against reading cluster.id from config is that "unique
> and immutable auto-generated id + changeable human-readable name is a
> better overall solution". Sumit describes the long term plan to use
> readable tags as well. However, the KIP doesn't describe the design of
> using this readable name/tags. The KIP needs to provide more information
> about this plan if this is used to argue for the existing approach against
> an alternative.

I am not sure why this is so. After all, your suggestion of a broker config
is an addition to what is being proposed in the KIP. Why can't we evaluate
your suggestion at the same time as the resource tags proposal? What we are
proposing in the current KIP is a foundation that is needed in both cases.
What am I missing?

Ismael