@Kostya

Regarding "To get around this we have an awful *cough* solution whereby we
have to send our message wrapper with the headers and null content, and
then we have an application that has to consume from all the compacted
topics and when it sees this message it produces back in a null payload
record to make the broker compact it out."

 ---> This has a race condition, right?

Suppose the producer produces a message with headers and null content at
time To to Kafka.

Then the producer, at time To + 1,  sends another message with headers and
actual content to Kafka.

What we expect is that the application that is consuming and then producing
same message with null payload should happen at time To + 0.5, so that the
message at To + 1 is not deleted.

But there is no guarantee here.

If the null payload goes in to Kafka at time To + 2, then essentially you
loose the second message produced by the producer at time To + 1.

Thanks,

Mayuresh

--
-Regards,