IIUC if you replicate from a single source cluster to a single target
cluster, the topic has the same number of partitions on both, and no one
writes directly to the target cluster (so master --> slave) the offsets
would be preserved.

but in the general case - how would you handle the case where multiple
producers "claim" the same offset ?