Hi!

> On 27 Dec 2016, at 19:35, radai <radai.rosenbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> IIUC if you replicate from a single source cluster to a single target
> cluster, the topic has the same number of partitions on both, and no one
> writes directly to the target cluster (so master --> slave) the offsets
> would be preserved.

Yes, exactly. When you
1) create topic with the same number of partitions on both master and slave
clusters
2) write only to master
3) replicate partition to partition from master to slave
- in this case the offsets will be preserved.

However, you usually already have cluster that works and want to replicate some
topics to another one.
IMHO, in this scenario there should be a way to make message offsets equal on
both clusters.

> but in the general case - how would you handle the case where multiple
> producers "claim" the same offset ?

The same way as Kafka handles concurrent produce requests for the same
partition - produce requests for partition are serialized.
If the next produce request “overlaps” with previous one, it fails.