Radai: #1 Request processing time rather than request rate were chosen
because the time per request can vary significantly between requests as
mentioned in the discussion and KIP.
#2 Two separate quotas for heartbeats/regular requests feel like more
configuration and more metrics. Since most users would set quotas higher
than the expected usage and quotas are more of a safety net, a single quota
should work in most cases.
 #3 The number of requests in purgatory is limited by the number of active
connections since only one request per connection will be throttled at a
time.
#4 As with byte rate quotas, to use the full allocated quotas,
clients/users would need to use partitions that are distributed across the
cluster. The alternative of using cluster-wide quotas instead of per-broker
quotas would be far too complex to implement.

Dong : We currently have two ClientQuotaManagers for quota types Fetch and
Produce. A new one will be added for IOThread, which manages quotas for I/O
thread utilization. This will not update the Fetch or Produce queue-size,
but will have a separate metric for the queue-size.  I wasn't planning to
add any additional metrics apart from the equivalent ones for existing
quotas as part of this KIP. Ratio of byte-rate to I/O thread utilization
could be slightly misleading since it depends on the sequence of requests.
But we can look into more metrics after the KIP is implemented if required.

I think we need to limit the maximum delay since all requests are
throttled. If a client has a quota of 0.001 units and a single request used
50ms, we don't want to delay all requests from the client by 50 seconds,
throwing the client out of all its consumer groups. The issue is only if a
user is allocated a quota that is insufficient to process one large
request. The expectation is that the units allocated per user will be much
higher than the time taken to process one request and the limit should
seldom be applied. Agree this needs proper documentation.

Regards,

Rajini