@Jason, thanks for your feedback!
You're right, we are not considering the old consumer, since we rely on the
KafkaConsumer#seek operations. I'm happy to update the KIP to make this
explicit.
About the second comment: I suppose that it would work, but I would like to
include it to the test cases first. Do you know if this scenario has been
test it in other clients?

Jorge