Hi all,

In working on the patch for KIP-196: Add metrics to Kafka Connect
framework, we realized that we have worker and connector/task IDs that are
to be included in metrics and those don't currently have constraints on
naming. I'd prefer to avoid adding naming restrictions or mangling names
unnecessarily, and for users that define a custom metrics reporter the name
mangling may be unexpected since their metrics system may not have the same
limitations as JMX.

The text of the KIP is pretty JMX specific and doesn't really define where
this mangling happens. Currently, it is being applied essentially as early
as possible. I would like to propose moving the name mangling into the
JmxReporter itself so the only impact is on JMX metrics, but other metrics
reporters would see the original. In other words, leave system-specific
name mangling up to that system.

In the JmxReporter, the mangling could remain the same (though I think the
mangling for principals is an internal implementation detail, whereas this
name mangling is user-visible). The quota metrics on the broker would now
be inconsistent with the others, but I think trying to be less JMX-specific
given that we support pluggable reporters is the right direction to go.

I think in practice this has no publicly visible impact and definitely no
compatibility concerns, it just moves where we're doing the JMX name
mangling. However, since discussion about metric naming/character
substitutions had happened here recently I wanted to raise it here and make
sure there would be agreement on this direction.

(Long term I'd also like to get the required instantiation of JmxReporter
removed as well, but that requires its own KIP.)

Thanks,
Ewen