On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 3:35 AM, Mickael Maison <mickael.mai...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ewen,
>
> I understand your point of view and ideally we'd have one convention
> for handling all user provided strings. This KIP reused the
> sanitization mechanism we had in place for user principals.
>
> I think both ways have pros and cons but what I like about early
> sanitization (as is currently) is that it's consistent. While
> monitoring tools have to know about the sanitization, all metrics are
> sanitized the same way before being passed to reporters and that
> includes all "fields" in the metric name (client-id, user).

How is just passing the actual values to the reporters any less consistent?
The "sanitization" process that was in place was really only for internal
purposes, right? i.e. so that we'd have a path for ZK that ZK could handle?

I think the real question is why JmxReporter is being special-cased?

> Moving the sanitization into JMXReporter is a publicly visible change
> as it would affect the metrics we pass to other reporters.

How would this be any more publicly visible than the change already being
made? In fact, since we haven't really specified what reporters should
accept, if anything the change to the sanitized strings is more of a
publicly visible change (you need to understand exactly what transformation
is being applied) than the change I am suggesting (which could be
considered a bug fix that now just fixes support for certain client IDs and
only affects JMX metric names because of JMX limitations).

-Ewen