This KIP will break backwards compatibility for anyone who is using the
existing attribute names.

Kafka devs, I believe that metrics are a supported interface, and so this would
be a breaking change. In order to do this, we would need a deprecation
timeframe for the old metric, and a transition plan to the new name. Is that
right? I'm not sure how we deprecate metrics...

During the deprecation timeframe, we could duplicate the metric to the new name.

-James